Monday, January 26, 2009

ITALIAN COFFEE ON A COLD WINTER DAY

GREETINGS FROM CARMELA'S CUCINA,

It is still cold and very wintry here in Minneapolis and I have to say I am suffering from a bit of "cabin fever." It was so frosty today that I decided just to stay home and catch up on a few things instead of running around doing errands, that can wait for a warmer day that is promised later in the week.

While cleaning closets I did catch today's episode of Martha Stewart, www.marthastewart.com She had a segment on her show that warmed my heart about Italian coffee. It seems that Martha and I do have something in common after all. It sounds as though she loves her Italian coffee as much as I do. On her segment was an Italian born coffee maker from Trieste Italy. The coffee can be purchased on line at www.anticausa.com Martha, like me enjoys the dark, rich and aromatic coffee of Italy.

When leading my culinary tours of Italy, (go to www.carmiescucina.com and click on the tours button for information) the first thing I do when I de-plane is find the nearest coffee bar and order myself a steaming cappuccino to help me get over jet lag. I usually have been thinking about that first cup for hours and am really ready for it after a long plane ride.

While touring Lucca, the city that Giacomo Puccini made famous. My clients and I begin our Sunday morning tour of the mid-evil city with a stop at Cafe Turandot. This cafe was named for Puccini's famous and final opera. After everyone has enjoyed a cappuccino, a cafe correcto or a machiato we are ready for a day of touring and eating. I always enjoy my daily stops at the beautiful coffee bars that Italy is so famous for and have been known to indulge in a pastry or two as well. But before my departure for home you can be sure that I always stop at a market and bring home several packages of good Italian coffee. As a matter of fact I am enjoying a warm cup as I write this message to you.

If you can't go with me to Italy and bring home your own Italian coffee, grocery stores such as Lund's and Byerly's will carry several brands that you might enjoy such as Illy or LaVazza,

Buon appetito,

Carmela Tursi Hobbins

No comments: