Tuesday, April 13, 2010

THE OLDE PINK HOUSE


Greetings from Carmela's Cucina,

On our recent culinary tour to Savannah, Ga. my clients and I had a chance to eat at the Olde Pink House on Reynold's Square. ( 23 Abercorn Street, 912-232-4286, www.theoldepinkhouse@bellsouth.net) It is an 18th century mansion open nightly for dinner and on Tues.-Sat. for lunch. Our tour guide Tara pre-ordered our dinner and she did an excellent job of selecting a perfect menu for us to begin our tour of Savannah.
Our first course was a beautiful salad of Bib lettuce roasted pistachios and a round of perfectly fried, warm and creamy goat cheese.

There were several main courses to choose from. But I remembered that on a visit to Charleston several years ago I really enjoyed the Scored Flounder and that is what I went with this time as well. As you can see, the whole flounder is presented, scored and served with a delicious apricot sauce, creamy grits and sauteed collard greens. When I was done the only thing left was the carcase of the fish. The waitress gave us a short demonstration of how to eat the flounder, by placing your fork under each square of fish and lightly scooping the flesh onto your fork. It was perfect.
And for dessert I choose the praline basket with vanilla bean ice cream, mango sauce and berries. I have to say I left The Olde Pink House "in the pink".

No comments: