Monday, July 6, 2009

HAPPINESS IS A REALLY GOOD TOMATO

Dear Friends,

As you may have noticed I took a break from blogging. But I am back at it again and anxious to resume our correspondence.

Since I wrote you last, we were on a fantastic trip to Hilton Island, South Carolina for a wedding and extended our trip a bit to include Savannah, Georgia.

My husband Bob, went to law school at NYU and his law school room-mate and his wife have been living in Savannah ever since. (I'm not going to tell you how long because you might be able to figure out exactly how old we all are!) Just let's say that it has been long enough to be very well connected to the South.

John and Barbie treated us royally in their beautiful, Isle of Hope home and I just can't wait to get back there again for another visit. Our stay included eating in some of Savannah's best restaurants a visit to Tybee Island and a cooking class with Chef Joe Randall, put together by Martha Nesbit a friend of John and Barbie's.

This where the story gets good. Martha writes recipes for Paula Deen. Lucky girl! I would love that gig. In Paula's newest cookbook Paula Dean and Friends Martha actually got two complete menus from my friend, Barbie, a great southern cook.

One night while we were having dinner in their home Barbie, made the best ever marinated tomatoes and we just fell in love with them. Well, over the weekend I just had to serve them to our guests at Little Flower Lodge and they loved them too. So I want to share the recipe with you. Now just let me warn you, these tomatoes got me lots of hugs and kisses, so you may get some of your own too.

And one more thing to make the tomatoes my own version, I gave them an Italian twist and changed up the ingredients a bit. No matter, use my recipe or go to Paula's cookbook and use Barbie's. Your family and friends are going to love you and you will be making these terrific tomatoes the rest of the summer.

Buon appetito,

Carmela

Carmela's Marinated Tomatoes Italian Style

3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Place all of the above ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until well combined.

6-8 Roma tomatoes, washed, cored and cut into six wedges.

Place the tomatoes in a bowl and pour the marinade over the tomatoes. Toss gently to coat. Marinate for several hours or overnight. Bring to room-temperature before serving. Place tomatoes in a pretty glass bowl or pour over salad greens. Decorate with more fresh herbs.

No comments: