Wednesday, November 24, 2010

BEST EVER CRANBERRY SAUCE

GREETINGS FROM CARMELA'S CUCINA,

I just finished making the cranberry sauce for our Thanksgiving feast. It is still cooling in the pot as I write this, when I am done I will simply add the mandarin oranges and garnish the dish. It will be completely ready to serve, no last minute fuss or bother. Something that I really find valuable with such an important meal. I had to share this recipe with my readers. There is a secret ingredient, "ginger" only fresh will do. Don't be intimidated by this gnarly root, fresh is a must. Just peel it with a teaspoon and chop it fine. It adds a great dimension to the sauce that you rarely find. And remember cranberry sauce is not just for Thanksgiving. I make it several times during the winter months as it is so good with all poultry and pork dishes.

I hope you have a great holiday with your family and friends.

Buon appetito!

Carmela Tursi Hobbins

CRANBERRY SAUCE WITH MANDARIN ORANGES

3 cups cranberries (12 ounces)
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
1- 12 ounce can of mandarin oranges

Combine the cranberries, sugar and ginger in a large pot. Cook stirring occasionally, over medium heat until sugar is melted and cranberries begin to pop, about 5 minutes.

Add 1 cup of water and simmer until liquid has thickened slightly, about 4 minutes. Some cranberries should still be whole. Remove from the heat, stir in oranges. Let cool before serving

No comments: