Friday, March 13, 2009

IRISH SODA BREAD FOR ST. PADDY'S DAY


Greetings from Carmela's Cucina,


In Ireland St. Patrick's Day is more of a religious celebration than it is here in the United States (www.wikipedia.org/wikiSt._Patrick). While many people attend parades and parties in the streets and bars, I keep our celebration on the quiet side usually making a Lamb Stew, Irish Soda Bread and serving Guinness or Hot Whiskeys.


I acquired this recipe for Irish Soda Bread so long ago that I can't remember which of my Irish friend's gave it to me. I always serve it with good butter and with the stew and I always have a very happy Irish family on the saints day.


This soda bread is really good for breakfast too. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we do.


Buon appetito,


Carmela Tursi Hobbins


IRISH SODA BREAD


3 cups all purpose flour

2 tablespoons packed brown sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup dried currants

1 teaspoon caraway seed

1 and 1/2 cups butter milk


In a large bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in the currants, and caraway seeds. Add butter milk, stir until the dry ingredients are moistened. Turn into a greased 8x1 and 1/2 inch round baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees until browned about 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and cool completely. Makes 1 loaf.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never made Irish Soda Bread before. I'd love to try it sometime soon. Thanks for the recipe.

Paz

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely recipe to make for the holiday, and so easy too. :)